Best Beef Recipes is an Amazon Associate. We receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
Our easy Poutine Recipe with Beef Gravy is a fun and simple recipe with so much to love! This simple recipe for cheese curd fries and gravy is a staple in Canada and is ready in minutes. We know you're going to love our take on this classic dish!
My family goes wild for this recipe for poutine fries, and I don't blame them. Who can resist crispy fries topped with beef brown gravy and chunks of melty cheese? Not me.
Whether you've tried every Canadian poutine recipe you can get your hands on or have yet to try it at all, I know you're going to love this dish. It is truly delicious and so easy to make.
What is Poutine?
Poutine (pronounced "poo-teen", or "poo-tin" for French Canadians) is a Canadian fries and gravy recipe using cheese curds. It's a staple in Canada and is so popular, you can even get McDonald's Poutine!
What cheese should I use?
The classic choice for poutine cheese is cheese curds. Curds come in white and yellow, and you can use either kind.
🧀 Substitute for Cheese Curds
If you can't find or would rather not use classic poutine cheese curds, use low moisture mozzarella cheese. You don't want wet, fresh mozzarella - it needs to be dry to work properly!
Use big chunks of cheese for the best poutine.
🍟 Can I use frozen fries?
Yes! We use frozen fries in our recipe. You can make homemade fries if you prefer, but we're obsessed with Air Fryer French Fries. They're easy to make and are so crispy. Check the recipe card below for our favorite kind.
🥣 How do I make the gravy?
Follow our step-by-step instructions in the recipe card for how to make poutine gravy! Our brown gravy recipe is super simple and easy to follow. You can also use any leftover beef gravy you have on hand.
⭐ Best Beef Recipes Tips
To make this the best poutine recipe ever, add leftover roast beef! Our Beef Roast Recipes are perfect for using with this dish.
🔥 How to Reheat
Reheat fries with gravy by adding to a greased baking dish and baking again at 350°F for 10 minutes.
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Save the Video Pin
Check out our Poutine with Beef Gravy web story!
Did you try this recipe? Leave a comment and a rating below to let us know what you think! We love to hear from you!
Easy Poutine Recipe
- Baking dishes
Poutine Gravy Recipe
- 1 package brown gravy mix ex. McCormick Brown Gravy Mix, 0.87 oz.
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- leftover roast beef optional
- 12 oz. cheese curds or low moisture mozzarella
- 1 package frozen french fries any kind and size; about 28 oz.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray baking dish.
How to Make Poutine Gravy
- Add 2 Tbsp. olive oil to a pan over medium heat. Cook 1 Tbsp. minced garlic for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add in 2 cups water and 1 package brown gravy mix. Cook until simmering and thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Optional: Add in leftover roast beef.
How to Make Poutine Fries
- Bake 1 package frozen French fries according to instructions on the bag. We like to use Air Fryer Frozen French Fries. Once the fries are ready, add them to the greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle 12 oz. cheese curds evenly over the fries.
- Pour completed beef gravy over the fries and cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes, serve, and enjoy!
- Leftover roast beef adds so much flavor to classic poutine.
- If you can't find or would rather not use cheese curds, use low moisture mozzarella cheese instead.