Reverse Sear Ribeye Steak Recipe
Learn how to grill the perfect reverse sear ribeye steak following this easy cooking method!
- 1 thick-cut ribeye about 1½ to 2 inches thick
- 1 tablespoon Santa Maria seasoning or seasoning of choice
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Fresh rosemary optional
Preheat the oven to 275°F.Place a wire cooling rack onto a baking sheet, then place 1 ribeye steak onto the wire rack. Season both sides of the ribeye with 1 tablespoon Santa Maria seasoning.
Add to the oven and bake for 15 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 90°F. Along with the steak, place your cast-iron skillet in the oven to allow it to heat as the beef cooks.Once the ribeye reaches 90°F, remove it from the oven. Carefully remove the cast-iron skillet with oven mitts and place onto a burner on the stove.Add 1 tablespoon avocado oil to the cast iron skillet and heat over high heat until it begins to smoke. Once smoking, carefully add the ribeye to the skillet and sear for 2 minutes on one side. Flip, and sear for another 1-2 minutes on the opposite side or until the internal temperature reaches 135°F or your desired level of doneness (see chart below).
Carefully remove the reverse sear ribeye from the skillet and let it rest on a plate for 10 minutes. Top with 1 tablespoon unsalted butter and allow it to melt. If using, top with fresh rosemary.
Steak Temperature Chart
- Rare: 125°F
- Medium rare: 135°F
- Medium: 145°F
- Medium well: 150°F
- Well done: 160°F
Best Beef Recipes Tips
- To ensure the perfect temperature every time, use a meat thermometer.
- Always let your steak rest after cooking. This helps seal in all of the flavor, so don’t slice it too early!
- Cut against the grain when cutting steak. The grain looks like little lines running through the steak itself, so cut in the opposite direction to those lines. This will give you the best bite every time.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 585kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 56g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 37g | Cholesterol: 170mg | Sodium: 124mg | Fiber: 1g