Vietnamese Beef Salad
You are going to love this easy rice noodle salad. With its nutritious ingredients and bright flavors, Vietnamese beef salad is guaranteed to put a smile on your face!
For the salad
- 2 sirloin steaks 8oz. each
- 2 medium carrots peeled and cut into julienne strips
- 1 large cucumber sliced into ribbons with a veg peeler
- 1 butter lettuce roughly chopped, or 2 baby gem lettuce
- A handful of fresh coriander roughly chopped
- 10-15 fresh mint leaves torn
- Red chili finely sliced with seeds left in
- 1 cup dried rice noodles
For the beef marinade
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tsp. fish sauce
- 1 tsp. garlic ginger paste
For the Asian salad dressing
- 2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp. fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp. honey
In a small dish, make the steak marinade by mixing together the juice of 2 limes, 1 tsp. fish sauce, and 1 tsp. garlic ginger paste.Pour the steak marinade over 2 room temperature 8 oz. rump or sirloin steaks. Cover, and allow to soak for at least 20 minutes. Cook 1 cup dried rice noodles by placing them in a bowl and covering them with boiling water. Let them sit for 1 minute, then carefully drain and rinse under cold water.Peel and cut 2 medium carrots into strips. Slice 1 large cucumber into ribbons using a vegetable peeler. Roughly chop 2 baby gem lettuce heads, a handful of fresh coriander, and 10 to 15 fresh mint leaves. Finely slice a red chili with the seeds left in. Finally, place these salad ingredients in a large bowl.Add the cooked rice noodles to the bowl with the salad ingredients, cover, and place in the fridge.
Place a griddle pan or skillet over medium heat. When the pan is hot, carefully add the marinated steaks. Cook on each side for 3 to 4 minutes for a pink middle. Remove the steaks from the pan and wrap them loosely in foil to rest for at least 8 minutes before slicing and serving.
In the meantime, prepare the Asian salad dressing. Mix together 2 Tbsp. sesame oil, the juice of 1 lime, 1 tsp. fish sauce, and 1 Tbsp. honey. Mix well.
Assemble the salad by removing the salad bowl from the fridge and tossing it together to mix with the noodles. Divide it even between four bowls, if feeding four.Unwrap the steak from foil and transfer to a cutting board. Thinly slice the steak and place the beef strips on top of the salad in each bowl.Pour over the Vietnamese salad dressing, serve, and enjoy!
- Remove the steaks from the fridge and place them in a bowl a half an hour before cooking them.
- Don't move the steaks while they're cooking until they're ready to flip. If they begin to smoke a lot, reduce the heat slightly.
- For a less pink middle, cook steaks an additional minute on each side.
- Let your steaks rest after pan-frying. Keep them loosely wrapped in foil while resting.
- Asian salad dressing will separate if left to sit. Give it a stir before pouring it over your salad.
Serving: 305g | Calories: 272kcal | Carbohydrates: 12.4g | Protein: 29.7g | Fat: 11.8g | Saturated Fat: 3.1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7.5g | Sodium: 120mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6.7g