Best Beef Recipes is an Amazon Associate. We receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
Our handy beef burger and steak temperature chart will show you how to cook the perfect steakhouse steak, burger, or prime rib, every single time.
We love our steaks, burgers, and roasts... in fact, we could eat beef every single day! The question we get asked the most is, "How do I cook the perfect steak?" And if it's not steak, we're being asked what the perfect temperature is for roasts and burgers.
Steak Temperature Chart
What could be better than a delicious steak dinner? We have an easy degree of steak doneness chart. It allows you to cook the perfect steakhouse steak, no matter what cut is your favorite.
The USDA recommends steak temperature should be a minimum of 145°F.
- Rare steak temp: 125°F - bright red in the middle
- Medium-rare steak temp: 135°F - warm red in the middle
- Medium steak temp: 145°F - warm pink at the center
- Medium-well steak temp: 150°F - slightly pink at the center
- Well-done steak temp: 160°F - little to no pink throughout
Now that you know the proper steak temps, you are ready to give one of our best steak recipes a try:
Roast Beef and Prime Rib Temps
Roast beef recipes are our specialty. We love prime rib recipes of all kinds, from smoking prime rib to cooking it in the Instant Pot! You can use this temperature chart no matter what preparation you use to cook your beef.
The USDA recommends roast beef be cooked to a minimum of 145°F.
- Rare roast: 125°F - bright red in the middle
- Medium-rare roast: 135°F - warm red in the middle with slight pink around the edges
- Medium roast: 145°F - warm pink throughout
- Medium-well roast: 150°F - slightly pink at the center
- Well-done roast: 160°F - little to no pink throughout
Try some of our favorite roast beef recipes:
- Smoked Prime Rib Roast
- Instant Pot Prime Rib Roast
- Boneless Rib Roast
- Dutch Oven Roast Recipe
- Oven Baked Beef Chuck Roast
Burger Temperature Chart
We love a good burger recipe. Follow this easy burger temperature chart to cook the perfect burger every time.
The USDA recommends ground beef be cooked to a minimum of 160°F.
- Rare burger: 120-125°F - bright reddish pink throughout
- Medium-rare burger: 130-135°F - pink throughout
- Medium burger: 140-145°F - slightly pink at the center
- Medium-well burger: 150-155°F - mostly brown throughout, with some pink
- Well-done burger: 160-165°F - brown throughout
Try some of our favorite burger recipes:
Beef Temperature Chart Tips
- Use an instant-read thermometer or meat thermometer.
- Insert the thermometer through the side of the beef with the tip towards the center. Don't touch fat or bone for a proper read.
- Take burgers and steaks off the heat when they are 5 degrees lower than the doneness you desire.
- Remove roast beef from heat when it reaches 5 to 10 degrees lower than your desired doneness.
- Allow beef to rest after cooking to lock in the juices and finish cooking to your desired degree of doneness.