Best Beef Recipes is an Amazon Associate. We receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
Layers of seasoned ground beef, corn tortillas, chiles, cheese, and corn make our Easy Mexican Ground Beef Casserole with Tortillas a winner any night of the week. It's easy to make ahead of time and big enough for leftovers or a party!
This Mexican corn casserole recipe is one of my favorite dinners to make of all time. It's easy to make in a pinch, budget-friendly, and uses simple ingredients, like beef prepared with taco seasoning and corn.
It's deeply flavorful and perfect for meal planning. This easy Mexican casserole recipe is a fun way to spice up your taco night!
Another one of my family's favorite ground beef meatballs is my Instant Pot Meatballs. They are the juiciest meatballs you will ever make!
Hi! I made this for my family and they literally loved it!!! Thank you so much this is so good!!@gkahle413 on Pinterest
What salsa should I use?
Use your favorite brand of salsa - any kind will work in this Mexican tortilla casserole!
We use mild enchilada sauce and medium heat salsa, but if your family likes Mexican meals with a little less heat, use mild instead. I've only tried this casserole dish with red salsa, but green salsa would also be delicious!
- Green onions
- Sour cream
We top our taco casserole recipe off with green onions, but there is so much more you can add. All of your favorite Mexican flavors are delicious on top of this dish! I like to add sour cream and jalapenos to mine.
Other fun additions are black beans added to the ground beef mixture or jalapenos mixed right in. Have fun adding your favorite taco ingredients to really make this easy meal your own.
It's easy to keep this taco bake with tortillas gluten-free - just double-check your ingredients!
- Use gluten-free taco seasoning (for example, McCormick brand).
- Stick to corn tortillas; they naturally contain no gluten.
- Make sure you're using gluten-free enchilada sauce (Old El Paso brand works).
Can I use flour tortillas?
Yes, you can use flour tortillas instead of corn tortillas if you prefer. The instructions remain the same!
- Prepare the beef with taco seasoning, water, and green onions as instructed. Do not add the salsa and corn. Refrigerate until ready to assemble.
- When ready to bake, add the corn and salsa, then assemble and bake as instructed.
This is an easy Mexican casserole recipe to prepare ahead of time. Cook up your beef, then store it in the refrigerate for up to 4 days.
When you're ready to make the Mexican ground beef casserole, follow the steps to assemble it in the baking dish, then pop it in the oven and you're good to go!
Can Taco Casseroles be frozen?
Yes, easily! Mexican ground beef casserole is perfect for freezing.
- Assemble the casserole as instructed, then freeze it unbaked.
- Wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and foil and label with the freezing date. It will keep for up to 3 months in the freezer.
You can also divide the recipe into two smaller dishes to enjoy one and freeze the remaining portion to have later.
When ready to enjoy, defrost in the refrigerator and pop it in the oven. You can also bake straight from frozen by adding an additional 10-15 minutes baking time.
Reheat this easy Mexican casserole recipe in the oven or in the microwave.
- Place in the oven in an oven-safe dish and cover it with foil. Bake at 325°F for 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Or, transfer to a microwave-safe container and heat on high for 1-2 minutes until heated through.
- You can use frozen corn kernels to make Mexican ground beef casserole, or follow this guide on How to Grill Corn in Foil for the perfect corn to use.
- Don't stir the beef too much when browning it. Break it up as it cooks, but give it time to stick to the pan and brown first.
Mexican Beef Recipes
Try more of our best Mexican Beef Recipes:
The Best Ground Beef Recipes
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Save the Video Pin
Check out our Mexican Casserole web story!
Did you try this recipe? Leave a comment and a rating below to let us know what you think! We love to hear from you!
Mexican Ground Beef Casserole
- 9x13-inch baking dish
- Aluminum foil
- 2 lbs. ground chuck cooked and drained
- 1¼ oz. taco seasoning packet
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup green onions chopped
- 1 cup corn kernels thawed from frozen, or freshly cooked
- 16 oz. salsa your choice of salsa; we use medium heat
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas you can also use flour tortillas if preferred
- 20 oz. hatch chiles five 4 oz. cans of diced chiles
- 10 oz. enchilada sauce mild
- 1 lb. Mexican blend cheese shredded
- chopped green onions and fresh tomatoes for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a skillet with cooking oil and place over medium heat on the stove. When hot, add 2 lbs. ground beef and cook until all beef is broken up and browned.
- Combine ground beef with 1¼ oz. packet taco seasoning, ¾ cup water, and 1 cup chopped green onions. Stir in 16 oz. salsa and 1 cup corn kernels.
- Spray 9 by 13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray. Layer corn tortillas along the bottom.
- Top with ⅓ of the diced hatch chiles, ground beef mixture, Mexican cheese blend, and enchilada sauce.
- Repeat the layers twice in that order, then top everything off with your remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes. Then, remove foil and bake another 10 minutes.
- Allow Mexican ground beef casserole to sit loosely covered with foil for 10-15 minutes before serving. Top with green onions and fresh diced tomatoes. Serve and enjoy!