This post may contain paid links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Juicy, tender, and richly flavorful, this easy Grilled Beef Tenderloin Recipe makes a perfect holiday meal. It takes just 30 minutes to make from start to finish, saving you time and room in your oven!
Best Grilled Beef Tenderloin Recipe
My family likes to refer to this recipe as Million Dollar Beef Tenderloin! It is that good! Just follow my directions and you too will be in love with this recipe. It is super easy to prepare and melts in your mouth with every bite.
I love preparing this dish when we have company because it gives me the opportunity to prepare everything ahead of time and enjoy my guests.
It was my first time making a beef tenderloin on the grill. Thank you for the awesome recipe. It was so easy to follow and turned out amazing. My family loved it.Jody on Pinterest
Beef Tenderloin Recipes FAQs
Filet mignon and beef tenderloin are both from the same cut of beef, but tenderloin is the whole cut, while filet mignon refers to steaks cut from the whole beef tenderloin.
It is the most tender cut of beef you will ever taste. The tenderloin sits under the ribs, next to the backbone. Beef tenderloin is one of the most expensive cuts of beef but in my opinion it is well worth it.
Beef Tenderloin on the Grill Recipe Ingredients
- Whole Beef tenderloin
- Garlic powder
- Sea salt
How to Grill Beef Tenderloin
- Bring beef tenderloin to room temperature by letting it sit out of the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour before cooking. Once ready to cook, preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Mix rosemary, thyme, garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper in a bowl. Sprinkle both sides of the beef with seasoning, patting it down to coat it well. If you prefer a stronger flavor, you can do this the night before and refrigerate the tenderloin overnight.
- Grill for 30 minutes with the lid closed. Check often with a meat thermometer. For medium-rare beef tenderloin, grill until beef reaches an internal temperature of 135°F or 145°F for medium.
- Let the beef rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve, and enjoy!
Best Beef Recipes Tips
- Always let your beef reach room temperature before you grill it. It will cook more evenly throughout this way.
- Use a meat thermometer for best results.
- Let your beef rest for at least 10 minutes before you slice it.
- Use sea salt instead of table salt for best results. Sea salt is flakier and will give your beef tenderloin on the grill a beautiful crust.
- Don't forget, Garlic Butter makes everything better!
- Try this dish with any of my Sauces for Beef Tenderloin!
Beef Tenderloin Temperature
Follow our Beef Tenderloin Temperature Chart to find the perfect temperature for your beef. Use a meat thermometer when grilling so you know exactly when to pull it off of the heat.
Trimming Beef Tenderloin
Before grilling beef tenderloin, the beef should be trimmed of excess fat and the silver skin removed. You can ask your butcher to do this for you, or do it easily at home following our instructions!
- With your tenderloin laying flat, carefully cut just under the silver skin with your knife. Keep the blade close to the meat, without removing too much of the meat itself. Cut away from yourself.
- Pull the tissue tightly against the blade using your free hand for a clean cut. Cut through the tissue until you trim it off completely. Do the same for any large white sections on the beef, which is excess fat.
Equipment for Grilling Beef Tenderloin
- Grill and tongs
- Meat thermometer for best results
- Cutting board and carving knife
- Small bowl to mix seasoning blend
We always recommend using a meat thermometer to check the temperature of your beef when grilling. This will make it easy to know when your tenderloin is ready to take off the grill!
Best Beef Tenderloin Recipes
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Did you try this recipe? Leave a comment and a rating below to let us know what you think! We love to hear from you!
Grilled Beef Tenderloin Recipe
See our Beef Temperature Chart for helpful tips on cooking any cut of beef!
- Bring a 3 lb. beef tenderloin to room temperature by letting it sit out of the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour before cooking. Once ready to cook, preheat grill to medium-high heat. Mix 1 Tbsp. rosemary, 1 Tbsp. thyme, 2 Tbsp. garlic powder, 2 tsp. sea salt, and 2 tsp. black pepper in a bowl. Sprinkle both sides of the beef with seasoning, patting it down to coat it well.
- Grill for 30 minutes with the lid closed. Check often with a meat thermometer. For medium rare, grill until beef reaches an internal temperature of 135°F or 145°F for medium.
- Let the beef rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Serve, and enjoy!