Best Beef Recipes is an Amazon Associate. We receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
My creamy horseradish sauce is the Best Horseradish Sauce for Prime Rib! Ready in 5 minutes using a handful of ingredients all mixed together in a bowl, this is a quick and easy sauce with tons of flavor. Try it with all your favorite beef recipes, but especially with prime rib!
Easy Horseradish Sauce for Beef
There is nothing like horseradish sauce for beef. Creamy and delicious, this easy horseradish sauce recipe pairs perfectly with beef recipes of all kinds. The best part about it is how quickly and simply it comes together: it only takes 5 minutes to whip it up using a handful of easy ingredients!
My family loves this recipe, and I know I, for one, cannot resist horseradish sauce for steak, pot roast, beef tenderloin, and prime rib... the list goes on. I'll admit, sometimes I cook up beef for dinner just to enjoy it with creamy horseradish sauce!
That's why I guarantee you're going to love this easy sauce recipe as much as I do. Pair it with my Au Jus for Prime Rib, and you will have the most tender, flavorful rib roast of your life.
My recipe for horseradish sauce uses sour cream, prepared horseradish, Dijon mustard, champagne vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, chopped chives, salt and pepper, and Tabasco sauce (optional). Personally, I love the kick Tabasco sauce adds!
Horseradish is a spicy root vegetable in the same family as mustard and wasabi. By itself, it is widely used as a condiment and as an ingredient in dressings and sauces.
Prepared horseradish is a condiment made from the horseradish root, and is readily available at the grocery store. You will use prepared horseradish to make horseradish sauce. Horseradish is strong, so if you are not familiar with it, use only a little bit to begin with.
Prepared horseradish, also known as pickled horseradish, is made using vinegar, salt, and sugar. On its own, it is more of a condiment than a sauce. Creamy horseradish sauce such as this recipe combines prepared horseradish with other ingredients, such as sour cream or, in some cases, mayonnaise.
Horseradish pairs well with richer cuts of beef, such as prime rib, as it cuts through the rich flavor to give the beef a lighter taste. This makes it a great choice for prime rib and roast beef sandwiches, though it also pairs well with steak, beef tenderloin, and even burgers.
Horseradish goes best with beef recipes of all kinds, but in particular is a perfect pairing for fattier cuts or roast beef.
Some recipes for horseradish sauce use mayonnaise, but this recipe uses sour cream. Using sour cream gives you a lighter version of the sauce and adds a tang to the flavor.
As long as you use a gluten-free Worcestershire, this sauce recipe is completely gluten-free.
Horseradish sauce can be frozen by placing it in an airtight freezer bag, pushing all the excess air out, and freezing for up to 6-8 months. Label with the freezing date and allow it to thaw in the refrigerator before using.
How to Store Horseradish Sauce
Store any leftover horseradish sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It lasts up to 1 week. I personally like to add it to a mason jar and use it as a dip for vegetables like carrots and celery sticks.
Recipes for Prime Rib with Horseradish Sauce
- Sous Vide Prime Rib - the easiest way to cook prime rib
- Slow Cooked Prime Rib - my most popular rib roast recipe ever
- Smoked Prime Rib - unbelievable smoked flavor, totally irresistible!
- Grilled Prime Rib - incredible flavor, complete with a coffee rub
- Instant Pot Prime Rib - for a quick and easy prime rib with tons of flavor
- Boneless Prime Rib - for an easy-to-carve, beautiful rib roast
- Standing Rib Roast - for a classic, gorgeous centerpiece
For more tips on cooking prime rib and what to pair it with, follow my guide on Best Way to Cook Prime Rib Roast. Use my Prime Rib Temperature Chart and a meat thermometer to find your ideal degree of doneness. Enjoy your holiday meal!
Sauces for Beef
- Au Jus for Prime Rib
- Beef Bolognese Sauce
- Red Wine Reduction Sauce
- Steakhouse Mushrooms
- Caramelized Onions
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Did you try this recipe? Leave a comment and a rating below to let us know what you think! We love to hear from you!
Horseradish Sauce for Prime Rib
- Medium bowl
- Whisk or fork
- Measuring spoons
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup prepared horseradish
- 1½ tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon White vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tablespoon fresh chopped chives plus extra for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix.1 cup sour cream, ¼ cup prepared horseradish, 1½ tablespoons Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon White vinegar, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, ½ tablespoon fresh chopped chives, salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk ingredients together until fully combined.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store leftover horseradish sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Use as much or as little horseradish as you prefer to vary the taste of this sauce.