Best Beef Recipes is an Amazon Associate. We receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
My Smoked Beef Short Ribs are richly flavorful and so juicy. They're easy to prep and cook to fall-off-the-bone tender perfection!
Best Smoked Short Ribs
You could say beef short ribs are a specialty of mine. I've made them in the oven, in the Instant Pot, in the slow cooker, on the grill... and in the smoker!
It isn't difficult to smoke beef short ribs, and it's worth every bit of effort. There is nothing like the taste and tenderness of beef ribs smoked. Trust me!
What are short ribs?
Beef short ribs come from multiple areas of the cow, such as the plate, brisket, chuck, or rib areas. They are an excellent choice for all kinds of different cooking styles, like braising, grilling, and smoking.
Short ribs generally vary in length from 3 to 6 inches. Typically, you will find 3-inch short ribs when purchasing from your local grocer.
Look for beautifully marbled beef for the best results when smoking short ribs. Marbling refers to the white grains running through the meat and is an indicator of flavorful, great beef.
Types of Short Ribs
Boneless Short Ribs
So flavorful, easy-to-prepare boneless short ribs aren't actually cut from the rib section of the cow. They are actually cut from the chuck, or shoulder.
Bone-in Short Ribs
Bone-in short ribs come from the plate or front belly. These ribs are much fattier and very tasty. They are also called Chuck Short Ribs.
Short Ribs Cuts
English Cut is the most common short ribs. The English style cut for short ribs is cut between the ribs to separate them. This will result in a thick piece of meat on top of the bones. This is my favorite cut and what we used in this recipe.
Flanken-style short ribs are cut thin. They are usually about a half-inch thick and cut across the bones. This will produce a thinner strip of meat with four to five pieces.
For smoking, I recommend bone-in, English Cut Short Ribs.
Short Rib Rub
- coarse salt
- black pepper
- garlic powder
For my smoked beef short ribs recipe, I use a simple mixture of paprika, salt and pepper, and garlic powder. This is a perfect beef short ribs seasoning! It's simple, but gives the beef a beautiful crust.
This recipe is keto friendly. Try more of our Best Keto Beef Recipes!
How to Smoke Beef Short Ribs
- Season your ribs with salt only and allow them to rest in the fridge overnight. The beef will soak up the salt and become more tender.
- Preheat your smoker to 285 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix your remaining seasoning, then thoroughly season the beef on all sides. Pat it down to really get that seasoning in there.
- Smoke for 4 hours, spritzing every hour with apple cider vinegar, until the meat is so tender a meat thermometer pierces through easily. When the meat is ready, it will literally feel like you are putting the meat probe through soft butter.
Heavier, larger ribs will take longer to smoke.
Tips for Smoking Ribs
Follow these tips for smoking beef short ribs:
- You want to cook your ribs to meat probe tender. Meat probe tender means the probe will go in and out of the meat without any resistance. It will happen around 190 degrees.
- I use apple cider vinegar to spritz my ribs as they cook and keep them juicy. There’s no specific amount of apple cider vinegar to use. Just a spritz or two to make them glisten works perfectly.
- You can skip the overnight brining step, if desired. Simply add the salt into the rub instead of using it the night before.
I smoke beef short ribs for 4 hours, spritzing them once every hour with apple cider vinegar.
This ensures juicy, fall-off-the-bone tender ribs. Larger and heavier ribs will take longer to smoke. Smoke them until a meat probe slides into the beef like butter - that's how you know they're ready!
The beef ribs temperature you're looking for is 190°F.
Beef Short Ribs Recipes
- Instant Pot Short Ribs
- Short Ribs on the Grill
- Braised Short Ribs in a Dutch Oven
- Slow Cooker Short Ribs
Smoked Beef Recipes
This was so good!@sharyljean
Yum!!! It was delicious!@tishstump
I made this tonight and it was truly amazing so tender and juicy. Will definitely be making it again.@bz4u22003
Fantastic and Super Moist!@supplee2
Did you try this recipe? Leave a comment and a rating below to let us know what you think! We love to hear from you!
Tender Smoked Beef Short Ribs
- Spray bottle
- Meat thermometer
- 4 Beef Short Ribs
- 2 Tablespoons Paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Coarse Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Sprinkle short ribs with coarse salt and place, uncovered, in the fridge, overnight.
- Preheat your smoker to 285 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the remaining seasonings in a small bowl and mix well.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mixture over the ribs and thoroughly cover them, from top to bottom.
- Place on the smoker and cook for 4 hours, or until the ribs are meat probe tender. Spritz the ribs once every hour with the apple cider vinegar. When the meat is ready, it will literally feel like you are putting the meat probe through soft butter.
- Remove from the smoker and let them rest for about 20 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Meat probe tender means that the probe will go in and out of the meat without any resistance. It will happen around 190 degrees Fahrenheit.
- There’s no specific amount of apple cider vinegar. Just a spritz or two.
- You can skip the overnight brining step if you desire. Simply just add the salt into the rub instead of seasoning the night before.