This Steak Foil Pack Recipe will change your life! It’s a steak and potatoes dinner recipe with peppers and onions, all cooked together in the oven or on the grill in foil.
With just 10 minutes of prep and a hands-off 20 minutes to cook, this is one of the easiest steak dinners ever!
What is a foil pack?
A foil pack, also known as a foil packet or foil bake, is a recipe where all of the ingredients are wrapped in foil, then are baked or grilled while in the foil.
Foil pack dinners are incredibly easy to make, and there are so many different types of dishes you can prepare with this method!
You can make this steak foil pack recipe in your oven or on the grill. All you need is aluminum foil to wrap your ingredients in.
The potatoes need to be parboiled (partially cooked), which you can do on the stove or even in the microwave. For that, you will need a pot or a microwave-safe bowl.
🥩 Foil Pack Ingredients
One of the best things about this steak foil pack recipe is that it uses simple ingredients. You most likely have most of the seasonings you need on hand. You can even use your own choice of steak seasonings.
- Steak: Use top sirloin or ribeye steak for the best results. Cut the steak into 2-inch pieces.
- Potatoes: Chop your potatoes into 1-inch pieces. You can use any kind of potato you prefer or have on hand.
- Red pepper: Red bell pepper is delicious in this recipe, although any color of pepper will work perfectly.
- Onion: Use a small onion for this recipe. We recommend a small white or yellow onion and not red onion.
- Garlic: You can crush or mince fresh garlic to use, or use minced garlic from a jar.
- Lemon juice: That little burst of zest pairs so well with the peppers, steak, and potatoes!
- Olive oil: A little olive oil goes a long way with adding so much flavor to this steak dinner recipe.
Optional: Try cooking your steak foil packs with the same garlic butter recipe we use for Garlic Butter Steak Bites.
🧂 Steak Seasoning
For the steak seasoning, we use a blend of paprika, thyme, salt, and pepper. You can also use simple salt and pepper or even a steak seasoning of your choice. Use your favorite seasoning for steak to mix things up!
One of our favorite steak seasonings is Santa Maria seasoning. We use it on Picanha Steak, but it’s perfect for any cut you like, including in this foil packet recipe. You can also try a Steak Dry Rub!
🔪 How to Cook Steak Foil Packs
- Cut steak into 2-inch pieces. Dice potatoes, red pepper, and onion into 1-inch pieces or smaller.
- Partially cook the potatoes by boiling them on the stove for 5 minutes, or by cooking for 2 minutes in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl filled with water.
- Mix together oil, garlic, paprika, thyme, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Toss the steak, potatoes, onions, and peppers in the mixture.
- Cut foil squares large enough to contain and fold over the steak and potatoes, then divide the mixture evenly between them. Seal the foil packs and cook on the grill for 10 minutes, or in the oven at 425°F for around 20 minutes.
- When done cooking, open the pack and finish the steak directly on the grill, or place it under the broiler for a couple of minutes, to brown. Serve in the pack or on a plate.
For full ingredient measurements, recipe tips, and more, keep scrolling to the recipe card below!
How to Cook Steak in the Oven with Foil
Follow the instructions to assemble and seal your steak foil bake, then cook in the oven for 425°F for around 20 minutes.
You’ll want to brown the steak when it’s done cooking, so switch your oven broiler on and let the packs brown for a few minutes under the broiler with the foil open.
⭐ Best Beef Recipes Tips
Try using other seasonings or ingredients to build your own steak foil packs! Here are a few ideas for what you can include:
The list goes on! Foil pack dinners are so convenient because you can load them up with anything you like.
As long as all of your vegetables are cut to relatively the same size, they will cook together perfectly on the grill or in the oven.
🥗 Side Dishes for Steak
Though this steak foil pack recipe comes with its own sides in the pack, it also pairs deliciously with a light salad on the side. Here are some suggestions:
📖 Easy Steak Recipes
Love steak as much as we do? Then try our other easy steak recipes!
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Steak Foil Pack Recipe
- 1 1/2 lb. steak use top sirloin or ribeye for best results, chopped into 2″ pieces
- 1 lb. potatoes chopped into 1″ pieces
- 1 red pepper chopped into 1″ pieces
- 1 small onion chopped into 1″ pieces
- 3 Tbsps. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic approximately 2 tsps., crushed
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- Cut 1 1/2 lb. steak into roughly 2-inch pieces. Dice 1 lb. potatoes, 1 red pepper, and 1 small onion into 1-inch pieces or smaller.Partially cook the potatoes by boiling them for 5 minutes on the stove or cooking for 2 minutes in a dish with some water in the microwave.
- Mix together 3 Tbsp. oil, 2 cloves crushed garlic, 1 tsp. paprika, 1 tsp. thyme, 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper, and 2 tsp. lemon juice. Toss the steak, potatoes, onions, and peppers in the oil mixture.
- Cut foil squares large enough to contain and fold over the steak and potatoes mixture, then divide the mixture evenly between them.
- Seal up the foil packs and cook on the grill for 10 minutes or in the oven at 425°F for around 20 minutes. When done cooking, open the pack and finish the steak directly on the grill or place it under the broiler for a couple of minutes to brown. Serve in the pack or on a plate.
- Try adding garlic butter sauce or other vegetables to these easy steak foil packs!