This post may contain paid links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
I have the juiciest, most tender Grilled Chuck Steak recipe ever to share with you. Topped with compound butter, every bite is full of mouthwatering flavor. Budget-friendly and ready in just 15 minutes. The trick is in the marinade and garlic butter!
When I think of steak recipes, what usually comes to mind is a classic ribeye steak, porterhouse, sirloin steak, or even filet mignon and boneless prime rib ... I bet you're drooling just thinking about your favorite right now!
Those cuts aren't always budget-friendly, though, and when you're feeding a family of six, you have to make do. I know how that goes, and I'm happy to share you can cook up a mouthwatering steak dinner on a budget.
Economical and flavorful beef chuck steak recipes are the solution! You can make this inexpensive cut of beef taste just like a ribeye on the grill. Top it off with garlic butter and you have yourself a flavorful chuck steak recipe that cooks in just 15 minutes!
This was a great recipe, the steak turned out flavorful and tender.Bambi
Types of Chuck Steak
There are several different cuts that fall under this name. These are chuck eye, flat iron, ranch, mock tender, and shoulder steak. For the best beef chuck steak recipe, use chuck eye. This recipe also works perfectly using london broil.
Chuck Steak Marinade Ingredients
- olive oil
- red wine vinegar
- brown sugar
- Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes
Our beef marinade gives this cut so much flavor. After letting it marinate for a full day, it grills up to juicy perfection. You can also try our Homemade Steak Seasoning.
Steak Compound Butter
You can follow this recipe or use our Garlic Butter for Steak. They are both amazing steak compound butter.
Garlic butter is a delicious topping and a total must-try! I use garlic butter sauce on my Garlic Butter Steak Bites and love it in this chuck tender recipe, too. Another delicious steak sauce is Chimichurri Sauce for Steak!
How to Cook Chuck Steak on the Grill
The steps are easy: simply marinate the beef, mix the compound butter, then grill it for a few minutes on each side.
- Mix together your marinade ingredients and let the beef soak up those juices for a full day under plastic wrap on a plate, or in a zip-lock bag. This is the trick to perfectly tender beef, so don't skip marinating!
- Bring the butter to room temperature and mix it with fresh herbs and garlic. Scrape the compound butter onto plastic wrap and roll into a log. Pinch the ends together to hold it in shape, then place it in the fridge and allow it to harden.
- On a charcoal or gas grill, grill the beef for 3-4 minutes on each side, then move to indirect heat and cook until they reach your desired degree of doneness.
Chuck Steak Recipes FAQs
Chuck beef is cut from the neck and shoulder section of the cow. It starts out tough, but if you cook it properly, it becomes tender, juicy, and so delicious! You can tenderize it with the perfect marinade, and you'll have a restaurant-quality dinner on a budget.
Tender Chuck Steak is one of the best affordable steak cuts available, along with grilled London Broil. When prepared properly it has amazing flavor and tenderness.
Everything used to make this tender steak recipe is gluten-free. It's perfect for diets of all kinds and tastes incredible. It is the perfect choice for serving at a backyard BBQ - everyone can enjoy it!
Chuck Steak Degree of Doneness
Always use a meat thermometer for grilling for the best results in getting the perfect temperature. With boneless chuck steak recipes, if you overcook them, they will become tough. You want a beautiful medium-rare steak. Follow our Steak Temperature Chart for more info.
Easy Steak Recipes
Get more delicious steak recipes, like Garlic Guajillo Steak, by checking out our Steak Dinner Ideas! Plus, see What to Serve with Steak for side dish ideas. Got leftovers? Try making one of our best Leftover Steak Recipes, like Steak Alfredo!
See my guide to Steak Cuts for info on every cut of steak!
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Chuck Steak Recipe
Grilled Chuck Steak Ingredients
See our Beef Temperature Chart for helpful tips on cooking any cut of beef!
- Mix 4 cloves minced garlic, 4 tablespoons olive oil, 5 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon brown sugar, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper, and ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Combine completely using a fork or whisk.
- Place 3 pounds boneless chuck steak in a cake pan or flat-bottom pan. Pour the chuck steak marinade over the steaks and toss until completely coated.Place plastic wrap over the top of the pan and place in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Do not skip this step! Marinating the chuck steak is what allows it to be so tender and delicious after cooking.
- Place 1 stick of room temperature unsalted butter in a small bowl. Add 2 cloves minced garlic, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, and 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme to the butter. Stir with a fork or hand mixer to combine.Scrape the compound butter onto a piece of plastic wrap and roll it into a log.Pinch the ends of the plastic wrap together to hold the butter in shape.Place the butter log in the fridge and allow it to harden while the steak marinates.
- Heat a charcoal or gas grill. Place your marinated steaks on the grill over direct heat. Grill for 3-4 minutes per side.Move the steaks to indirect heat, cover, and continue to grill until they reach your desired level of doneness. Use a grilling thermometer to check the temperature and see our chart below for degree of doneness.
- Remove the steaks and place a pat of compound butter on each one. Allow the steaks to rest as the butter melts.