Best Beef Recipes is an Amazon Associate. We receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
My Grilled New York Strip Steak with Asian Marinade is a juicy, tender steak recipe that's easy to cook on the grill for a restaurant-quality meal! After marinating in a flavorful Asian marinade, this strip steak on the grill is simply irresistible.
Grilling New York Strip Steak
Steak recipes are a constant in my household. What could be better than a tender, juicy steak? There's only one answer to that: a tender, juicy steak cooked on the grill!
Grilling strip steaks adds a beautiful sear to the beef that complements the tender middle perfectly. I'll show you how to grill NY strip steak so it's perfectly cooked, juicy, and oh-so-delicious.
And let me tell you, there is nothing like grilled strip steak!
Also known as a New York strip steak or Kansas City strip steak, this is a high-quality cut of beef, comparable to filet mignon, ribeye, T-bone, and Porterhouse.
Strip steak has very little connective tissue and fat, but has plenty of marbling - the little white lines of fat running through the beef - which makes it super tender!
Heat your grill to medium-high heat, or about 375°F to 450°F depending on your grill. This gives you a relatively short cook time (only 6-8 minutes) while creating a perfect sear on the beef and keeping the inside nice and juicy.
Yes! Marinate your steaks for at least 30 minutes in my Asian beef marinade. You will not believe how tender and flavorful this makes the steaks.
How to Grill NY Strip Steak
Follow my tips on how to grill New York strip steak for the best results every time:
- This recipe for grilled New York strip steak is for medium-rare steaks. If you prefer your steaks further done, add an additional minute to each rotation of the steak. For rare, reduce it by 15-20 seconds each rotation. Cook time may need to be adjusted for differently sized cuts of beef - I use 12 ounce strip steaks.
- If you don’t want the diamond grill marks, you can simply cook the steak on each side for 3 minutes.
- You can grill strip steak the same exact way in an oiled cast iron skillet.
How Long to Grill NY Strip
Place the steaks on the grill and cook for 1.5 minutes then rotate it, keeping it on the same side, 30-45 degrees, and cook it another 1.5 minutes. Flip the steak and repeat the same process. This should take about 6-8 minutes total.
If you aren't looking for the diamond grill marks, you can simply grill the steak for 3 minutes on each side.
New York Strip Steak Marinade
I use an Asian marinade for my grilled New York strip, and it is irresistible! It uses a mixture of soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, Mongolian fire oil, minced garlic, and lemon juice. Here are some tips on using the marinade:
- You can use spicy sesame oil or normal sesame oil in place of fire oil. If you're concerned about spice levels, the fire oil won't add any spice to the steak. It only adds flavor!
- This marinade should be enough for at least 4 steaks. If cooking for more, double the marinade ingredients.
Double-check your balsamic vinegar to make sure it is gluten-free. Mongolian fire oil is gluten-free.
My Grilled New York Strip steak is keto-friendly, but the Asian marinade will need some adjustment for a keto diet!
If cooking low carb, replace soy sauce with coconut aminos, and balsamic vinegar with red wine vinegar.
Tips for the Perfect Steak
- Allow your beef to come to room temperature before grilling.
- Let your steaks rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing them.
- Always slice against the grain for the most tender cuts.
Best Steak Recipes
Try more of my favorite Steak Dinner Ideas:
- Grilled Ribeye Steakhouse Steak
- Reverse Sear Ribeye Steak
- Air Fried Filet Mignon
- Grilled Picanha Steak
- Marinated Grilled London Broil
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Did you try this recipe? Leave a comment and a rating below to let us know what you think! We love to hear from you!
Grilled New York Strip Steak with Asian Marinade
- 4 New York Strip Steaks 12-ounce steaks; marinade is enough for 2 to 4 steaks
Asian Beef Marinade
- ½ Cup Soy Sauce
- ¼ Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Mongolian Fire Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- In a large bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients and stir thoroughly.
- Place the steaks in the marinade, cover, and chill for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Heat your grill to medium/high. Let it come to temperature before placing the steaks on the grill.
- Place the steaks on the grill and cook for 1.5 minutes then rotate it, keeping it on the same side, 30-45 degrees, and cook it another 1.5 minutes. Flip the steak and repeat the same process.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before slicing for the best results. Enjoy!
- You can use spicy sesame oil or normal sesame oil in place of the fire oil. You won’t get any spiciness from the fire oil, if that’s a concern.
- These steaks were cooked until medium rare. If you would like it well-done, add an additional minute to each rotation of the steak. For rare, reduce it by 15-20 seconds each rotation. Cook time may need to be adjusted for other size steaks.
- If you don’t want the crossed grill marks, you can simply just cook the steak on each side for 3 minutes.
- This recipe can be cooked the same exact way in an oiled cast iron skillet.
- This marinade should be enough for at least 4 steaks.