Best Beef Recipes is an Amazon Associate. We receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
My Smash Burger recipe with special sauce and homemade burger seasoning is a one-of-a-kind burger that tastes divine and is so easy to make on a griddle or in a pan. Ready in less than 10 minutes and oh-so-delicious.
Best Smash Burger Recipe
If you've ever visited Smashburger, you know the classic smash burger is just amazing. I'm going to show you how to make it at home in this easy step-by-step recipe. If you know, you know... this burger is just amazing!
And, don't tell anyone, but my secret burger sauce is even better than their smash sauce. Seriously! It's out of this world.
I am obsessed with this juicy smash burger recipe. You have not tasted burger perfection until you try this recipe! Whether you make these burgers on a griddle pan or in a skillet, they're guaranteed to be the best you've ever had.
Paired with my homemade burger seasoning and special burger sauce, it just doesn't get any better than this. My family is constantly asking me if we can have these for lunch or dinner!
This is hands down the best burger I have ever made!Matt on Pinterest
Smash Burger Recipe Ingredients
- 80/20 ground chuck beef
- American cheese slices
- Sliced tomato
- Lettuce leaves
- Sliced onion
- Brioche or potato rolls
Smash Burger Seasoning Ingredients
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- Burger seasoning: salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder
- Burger special sauce: mayo, ketchup, spicy brown mustard, minced pickles, pickle
You can check out the step-by-step instructions on how to make the perfect burger seasoning.
Smash Burger Sauce Ingredients
- spicy brown mustard
- minced pickles
You can check out the step-by-step instructions on how to make the perfect special sauce.
How to Make a Smash Burger
- Heat your griddle greased with a little butter. Form ground beef into equally sized balls.
- Place the balls of beef on the griddle and smash them down with a spatula until thin. Sprinkle liberally with burger seasoning.
- Cook until browned at the edges and juicy on top, then flip.
- Melt cheese over the burgers and cook for another minute. Serve on a bun, top with burger sauce and toppings, and enjoy!
Burger Temperature Chart
For best results, I recommend always using a meat thermometer, and following our Burger Temperature Chart! This is the most useful tool for checking if your beef is done to your liking.
The USDA recommends ground beef be cooked to a minimum of 160°F.
|Rare||120-125°F||Bright reddish pink throughout|
|Medium||140-145°F||Slightly pink at the center|
|Medium-well||150-155°F||Mostly brown throughout, with some pink|
Smash Burger Recipes Tips
- You may be tempted to lift the burgers to check how they're browning: don't! Don't mess with the burgers at all while they're cooking. Instead, watch the edges of the burgers to see how they're browning.
- Smash burgers are thin, fatty, and cook over high heat, so they won't take long to cook. On the surface of the burger, some juices will pool up - this means the fat is rendering and the burgers are nearly ready to flip.
Smashburger Recipes FAQs
Smash burgers are burgers where you form the patties after you place them on a pan by smashing them down using a burger smasher or spatula.
You can simply use your spatula to make smash burgers. You don't need a burger smasher!
For the best smash burger recipe, cook over medium-high. Follow our Beef Cooking Chart for more info.
Yes! Simply serve without the bun.
Best Burger Recipes
- Loaded Burgers
- Air Fryer Butter Burgers
- Wagyu Burger
- Egg Burger
- Smoked Burgers
- Swiss Mushroom Burger
- Cheeseburger Sliders
And for a super easy weeknight meal, your family will love our hamburger casserole, Impossible Cheeseburger Pie, or Steakhouse Mac and Cheese!
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Did you try this recipe? Leave a comment and a rating below to let us know what you think! We love to hear from you!
Best Smash Burger Recipe
- Griddle pan or skillet
- 1 serving burger sauce
- 1 serving burger seasoning
- 1 pound 80/20 ground chuck beef
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 4 slices American cheese
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 4 slices onion
- 4 brioche rolls or potato rolls
See our Beef Temperature Chart for helpful tips on cooking any cut of beef!
- Heat a cast-iron griddle over medium-high heat. Once sizzling hot, grease lightly with butter. Divide your ground beef into 4 equally sized balls - don't form them into patties!
- Place the ground beef balls on the griddle and smash them flat with a spatula. Each patty should be about 4" in diameter - we want those crispy edges!
- Season liberally with burger seasoning and cook until the edges brown, about 2 minutes. Flip the patties and season the other side. Finally, place a slice of cheese on top of each patty.
- Cook until the cheese melts and the burgers are medium-rare, about 1 minute.
- Serve on brioche buns or potato rolls with lettuce, onion, tomato, and burger sauce. Enjoy!
- Don't mess with the burgers at all while they're cooking - don't even lift them to check if they're browned. Instead, watch the edges of the burgers to see how they're browning.
- Smash burgers are thin, fatty, and cooking over high heat, so they won't take long to cook. On the surface of the burger, some juices will pool up - this means the fat is rendering and the burgers are nearly ready to flip.
Leave a comment or question - we love to hear from you!