Best Beef Recipes is an Amazon Associate. We receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
My easy Prime Rib Rub recipe is all you need to season prime rib! It's so simple you will have all the pantry ingredients to make it, and I'll give you tips on how to apply it for the best flavor and most tender beef.
Best Seasoning for Prime Rib
Prime rib is one of my specialties and a favorite of mine for the holidays. I make it for Christmas, Easter, and sometimes special occasions... and I love trying different preparations!
Through and through, though, one fact is always true for my prime rib recipes: prime rib rub recipes should be simple. A great cut of beef does not need a wide variety of seasonings for the results to be show-stopping.
My homemade prime rib rub recipe is a perfect example of a simple beef rub. It uses just three easy ingredients - the trick is in how and when you apply it, and how much you use!
For the best results, yes. Seasoning overnight allows your cut of beef to soak up all the flavors of your rub, and the salt will dissolve into the beef to help keep it nice and juicy.
Rub your prime rib all over with your seasoning mixture, patting it down. Leave your prime rib uncovered in the refrigerator overnight so it can soak up all of that seasoning. Then, before cooking it, let it come to room temperature for about 30 minutes. This ensures even cooking.
Use the leftovers to make Leftover Prime Rib Pasta!
How to Season Prime Rib
- Mix your seasonings in a bowl.
- Sprinkle your beef generously with the prime rib rub.
- Pat down your seasoning mixture thoroughly.
- Let your beef rest for at least 30 minutes, but up to overnight is best. The beef will soak up the flavors of the rub.
- Cook your prime rib however you like - smoked, in the Instant Pot, on the grill or in the oven. This prime rib rub recipe works for every preparation!
Prime Rib Recipes
Try my easy prime rib rub with one of my favorite prime rib recipes:
- Homemade Steak Seasoning with Brown Sugar
- Homemade Meatloaf Seasoning Recipe
- Our Famous Burger Seasoning
Did you try this recipe? Leave a comment and a rating below to let us know what you think! We love to hear from you!
Amazing Prime Rib Rub Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons Coarse Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
- Mix coarse salt, black pepper, and garlic powder in a bowl. Sprinkle your prime rib generously with the seasonings. Be sure to cover every inch of the prime rib with the seasonings.
- Pat down your prime rib with the seasoning. For best results, refrigerate overnight and bring to room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Always slice against the grain for best results.
- The longer the rub is on your prime rib the better. In other words, you can put the rub on the night before and it will be even better.
- Heat resistant gloves are a must when handling this recipe, especially during the searing stage.
- Using a cast iron grill pan is the best, if you want those gorgeous sear markings.
- You can add a bit of oil in your searing pan, if desired. However, I don’t use oil. This is simply a preference.